Marcelien wrote:
quirky customers
we have this one "customer" who comes in every now and then. he never buys anything, but he often comes and asks for change. He always changes 10's and 20's (coins) into 1's, and 500 notes into 200's and 100's. He seems like he needs everything to be the way he wants it to be. So he has a small coinpurse that is filled to the rim with 1's. He's very sweet. He always wears sort of train-conductor clothes. He's very large, has black pants, white shirt, suspenders, long overcoat, sixpence and a leather briefcase that seems to be 100 years old or something. And when he's in there, he always says, quite loudly, to the entire store: "I just want to say that I can recommend this store at its warmets. I always get great service here, and its a very nice store. Thats all I wanted to say". Then he tips his hat goodbye at us, and leaves.
I like quirky people. I think he's somewhat challenged somehow, but not very much. I think he just wants things done in a particular way. He's somewhat of a mystery at our place.
At a different toy store I used to work in, there was this lady who would call and ask when her cats got in the mail. She speaks very unclear, so the first time she called, I couldnt understand a thing she said. But I later was told she was "the cat lady". She would mail us money, and we would mail her cat-teddybears. But she was a little bit challenged as well, so she didnt always understand that the mail could take a few days, and would always call, almost every day, to ask when her cats got there. She never said anything else, no chit-chat besides "where are my cats".
it can sometimes be difficult to deal with customers who might be socially challenged or something, cus they dont always understand what you say. some customers, like the coin guy, is very easy to explain that "we dont have enough notes or coins to exchange with u today, sorry". but the cat lady was very difficult to explain that the cats were on their way, we sent them yesterday. she didnt really understand. but u learn by doing